Arguably the largest wine store online in the world.
They probably have the biggest presence in wine drinkers minds if not SEO and PPC.
They offer a large range, ratings, reviews, shipping deals, virtual cellars, recommendations, and wine guides. An impressive site indeed backed up by deep pockets.
The home page is using a left column design
Note: the blue-grey black bordered boxes are my overlay of the website design structure, almost always Header, Body Column(s), then Footer.
The product page is also using a left column design:
Some other notable points about the web design
- an expanding menu over all the ways people search for wine, wine.com use to have a more simpler design so I’m guessing they’ve tested this and found that it converts better
- the split on shop, gifts, wine club, and wine accessories (I must write a post about the product segments of an online store but essentially it’s these)
- a very busy page with lots of promo boxes and distraction
- excellent product listing – succinct and to the point
- If you look at the product detail page they use winemakers notes, critical acclaim, drinker reviews and lists.
Excellent website from one of the big guys.
How would you rate it?