More of a portal or mall for wine stores and wineries than a direct competitor.
They charge the wine store 10% of any sale to be a featured wine store (an “affiliate” model) and offer advertising. They would be the classic “coopetition” you compete and co0perate with them.
Their home page is a 3 column design
The product page is essentially 3 column with a big box on top of the left two columns
Other notable features
- Easy search, rating and recommendation. They focused on doing these things really well.
- Also have excellent SEO, often appear at the top of the organic listings
- Offers the wine drinker the ability to get ratings and reviews from stores and drinkers all round the world.
- You can compare prices and get recommendations.
- I do think there is too much going on with the wine consumer pulled in too many ways with ads and boxes, if they’ve having trouble converting sales they should look at the amount of distracting noise on the site.
One of my favs.